Hi Everyone ~
Well it is just another beautiful hot summer's day in Phoenix, Arizona. I would like to wish all the father's out there a Happy Father's day including my own dad and Chris's dad - Gary. Hope you both have a great day!
Today started off exciting. Chris got up early to go biking and about 6:15am he comes back into the apt and says "Katie, you have got to see this." So I get up and he leads me to the window and points to a lump in the parking lot. It was a man - sleeping in the parking lot. Chris said he had gone over there and asked the man if he was okay and he just moaned and turned onto his side. Snuggling up to the warm black top. However, of course when I was leaving the house at 7:30am the sun had begun to shine in that area - and he was gone. So we can only imagine what story that man had to tell - drunk and just passed out or drunk got in a fight and passed out or hell was just celebrating Father's day in his own unique way. Just another day in Ghettotukee.
Now don't get me wrong - I love my Ghettotukee. I really do oddly enough. For instance, we have the dumpster not to far away from our apt and people are always putting stuff out there. Well just yesterday somebody put a rolltop desk - except it isn't a rolltop but a fold down by the dumpster. It looked very old and well used but I fell in love with it. I told a Chris that all it needed was a good sand down and to be re-stained. He didn't seem as positive about it but being the good sport that he is, helped me drag it onto our patio where I have begun the long process of refurnishing it. I think it will look great!!! Just a little bit of sanding (I'm over the hand sanding and will use my dad's electric one), some stain and new knob handles it will look good as new....honest. I did take a before picture which I will post and soon I will have the after picture when I am done. I can't wait. Gives me something to do while Chris is away in Minnesota over 4th of July weekend. (Side note: I did not want to mention I found it by the dumpster however Chris made it very clear if I didn't that he would post a comment or send out an e-mail telling everyone it origin. I figured I'd save him the hassle - how's that for love?) :-)
My girlfriend Barbara and I decided we were going to hit up garage sales today. They are a good place to find books and things at a discounted price for the classroom. Last time we went to one the people gave up and just had everything for free. Barbara got a little blackboard that would be perfect for a story corner or something and I picked up about 10-15 books. All in very good condition and great titles. Value of the books - about $40.00. Not bad. I also picked up some large pictures that were matted. These will be good for creative writing. However, today was not as successful. Not really realizing that not too many people would be crazy over doing a garage sale on Father's day we only found two. The first was all baby stuff and the second was all furniture. Some of the furniture was very nice but there was one particular piece that was quite interesting. It was a bookshelf that one about 1 foot wide and 8 feet high. The lady informed us it was authentic barn wood. We were like "Wow, how nice." When we walked away, I thought "authentic barn wood....what the hell does that mean?" What? When the wind blows just right you can get an authentic manure smell with it too? Come on people - that shouldn't be your selling line. Hey folks check out this little piece, we scraped it together from pieces of junk barn wood and are willing to part with it for only $15.00. So not only is it creative....but a great bargain too! Heck, I'm going to try that. I'll save used popsicle sticks or something and glue them all together into a neat little chair. I'll make sure the popsicle sticks are stained too - all different colors. It will be one of a kind.
We started to interview a couple people for my position. Yeah, that went well. The first guy was a complete weirdo. When we asked him to tell us about his experience he went off on a tangent and walked us through each job (which took 40 minutes) - slammed every person he's ever worked for and took us through a mock phone call that he and an old General Manager of his once had (which had no relevance). And when I say took us through the phone call I'm not kidding. He literally made a phone gesture with his hand, put it up to his ear and said the lines he must have said to the man. Of course we only got one side of the story because we couldn't hear what was going on the other end of his "phone call". Mind you this was AFTER he spent three minutes trying to decide where this guy worked now and said "Oh excuse me, I was just talking to myself" and than started into this phone call. I didn't dare look at Robert (my boss) because I would have fallen out of my chair laughing. We had 10 questions for him and Robert went from question one to question ten saying "You were so thorough that you covered all of our questions." He is so PC. Definitely not what I wanted to say. Oh and the man wore these thick large glasses and would talk to you and than lower his head so he could look at you over the rim of his glasses. Just scary. Next guy not so bad - but he had a tough act to follow.
Well that is about it. Hope everyone is well!
Love,
Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment