Monday, June 06, 2005

Writing Courses

Hi Everyone ~

As you may have rememberd I am currently in a couple writing courses right now. They have proved to be a lot harder than I thought. However, I am enjoying them thouroughly. I have been getting great reviews on my work and am pleased with most of the results. I thought I would share one of my stories. We all had to choose a quote that meant something to us. Below is what I picked. I hope you enjoy and would appreciate any feedback if you had some.

Love you all.

Katie

My Epigraph

“The things that one most wants to do are the things that are probably most worth doing.” Winifred Holtby

I never used to think much about the meaning of quotes or how they could apply to life until I came across this one. I used to do the newsletter for our company and would look for a new message or saying to motivate employees. When I read this one, it struck a cord deep inside me. It was at that time, that I had recently decided to go back to school to finish my degree in elementary education. This quote just solidified my determination to graduate from college.

Getting my degree in Elementary Education was something I always wanted to accomplish however I had put it on the back burner more than once. The first time I put it off was back in Illinois, I told myself that I had plenty of time to attend college later in life. After all I had just graduated from high school and attended a few college courses but was in no rush to begin school full-time again. When I moved to Arizona in June of 1999, I was very excited about attending school but at that time I was considered an out of state resident. I didn’t have a lot of money and didn’t want to utilize student loans for “out of state tuition”. The third and final time I put off college was when my ex-fiancĂ© was going to school for architecture. We made a pact that he would finish school first, after all he was almost done and only had a year left and I would go back when he graduated. Our relationship did not go as planned and I was left with no fiancĂ© and no degree. While both were choices that I had made through life, I felt a little cheated.

Eventually, I finally got my life situated and decided it was time to go back and finish what I had started. This time there was no pact with anyone but myself. I registered for classes and the following week I came across this inspirational message. How appropriate it was for me to read it at that time. Little did I know that the road to finishing my education would be a long and hard path. I would even stumble occasionally but learned to pick myself up and dust off the dirt. This was not always easy; I typically work over 48 hours a week while attending evening classes and online courses. However, in less than a year’s time I have completed 58 credit hours and am on the verge of graduating. While this has meant I had to give up doing some things such as socializing with friends in the evening or going out on weekends, in the long run I know it will pay off. It has been very important that I keep focused and realize the positive outcome of all the handwork I have been doing and it has only been that I have been able to do so with the support of my family and my boyfriend, Chris.

I now keep this message close to my heart whenever I think about doing new things in life. Many times we lose sight of what is important to us. We occasionally overlook our dreams, never taking the moment to realize that they are attainable through hard work and determination. These dreams are aspirations deep inside a person and are just waiting to be brought to life. We should remember what goals we have and why we have them. They are our goals and dreams and most likely are “probably most worth doing”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate, I checked my e-mail to see if you had sent me your new address, which I knew you would,and I saw you had a new posting I really enjoy reading them. Hope all went well with the move. Take care Love you guys, Mom